Slated to play the Miami Dolphins and a rookie quarterback in Week 1 of the upcoming season, Bill Belichick and the Patriots have some remarkable statistics when it comes to facing and debuting rookie quarterbacks.
Tua Tagovailoa and the Miami Dolphins are scheduled to come into Foxborough on Sunday, Sept. 13 for a 1:00 p.m. start. While it is unclear whether or not the NFL season will start on time due to the COVID-19 crisis and if Tagovailoa will make his debut, Belichick and the Patriots will likely have the upper hand.
Belichick vs. Rookie Quarterbacks:
Opposing rookie quarterbacks making their first NFL start against Bill Belichick are 0-8. Eight losses with no wins are the most in the Super Bowl era against rookie quarterbacks.
Bill Belichick could potentially face Tua Tagovailoa in Week 1 when the Patriots host the Dolphins.
FROM ELIAS: Belichick is 8-0 in his career as a head coach against quarterbacks making their 1st career start – the most wins without a loss in these games in the Super Bowl Era. pic.twitter.com/VMzPyrZv0F
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) May 8, 2020
Some of the quarterbacks that made their first NFL start against Belichick and the Patriots include Luke McCown, E.J. Manuel, Tyler Palko, Matt Flynn, and Luke Falk.
Belichick Stat Lines vs. Debuting Rookie Quarterbacks:
- In November of 1992, Belichick and the Browns beat Peter Tom Willis and the Chicago Bears. Willis was 19 of 26 with 285 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in a 27-14 loss to the Browns.
- In December of 2004, Belichick and the Patriots routed Luke McCown and the Cleveland Browns. McCown was 20 of 34 with 277 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in a 42-15 loss to the Patriots.
- In December of 2010, Belichick and the Patriots beat Matt Flynn and the Green Bay Packers. Flynn was 24 of 37 for 251 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in a 31-27 loss to the Patriots.
- In November of 2011, Belichick and the Patriots routed Tyler Palko and the Kansas City Chiefs. Palko was 24 of 37 for 230 yards, zero touchdowns, and three interceptions in a 34-3 loss to the Patriots.
- In September of 2013, Belichick and the Patriots beat E.J. Manuel and the Buffalo Bills. Manuel was 18 of 27 for 150 yards and two touchdowns while being sacked 3 times in a 23-21 loss to the Patriots.
- In September of 2019, Belichick and the Patriots beat Luke Falk and the New York Jets. Falk was 12 of 22 for 98 yards, zero touchdowns, and one interception in a 30-14 loss to the Patriots.
Opposing Quarterbacks vs. the Patriots:
Opposing first-year quarterbacks coming into Foxborough are also 0-13. Overall, Belichick’s teams have dominated rookie quarterbacks, posting a 20-6 record overall and a 13-0 record at Gillette Stadium.
Some of the Patriots’ losses to rookies came at the hands of Geno Smith, Russell Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger, Colt McCoy, Mark Sanchez, and others. The growing theme in those games was the supporting cast. Teams have averaged over 175 rushing yards per game against the Patriots to support their rookie quarterback. Those teams also had top-10 defenses.
Quarterbacks Making Their First Start Under Belichick:
With quarterback Jarrett Stidham at the helm to replace Tom Brady, the Patriots will need a strong year from the inexperienced quarterback who has never made an NFL start. Quarterbacks making their first career start under Bill Belichick are 6-0.
- Todd Philcox: Dec. 5, 1993 (Browns beat Saints, 17-13)
- Eric Zeier: Oct. 29, 1995 (Browns beat Bengals in OT, 29-26)
- Tom Brady: Sept. 30, 2001 (Patriots beat Colts, 44-13)
- Matt Cassel: Sept. 14, 2008 (Patriots beat Jets, 19-10)
- Jimmy Garoppolo: Sept. 11, 2016 (Patriots beat Cardinals, 23-21)
- Jacoby Brissett: Sept. 22, 2016 (Patriots beat Texans, 27-0)
Broke down Jarrett Stidham’s college film:
In 2017 he led Auburn over an undefeated Alabama team who went on to win the national championship (All 11 Bama defensive players now play in the NFL)
Elusive, smart decision making, accurate, throws good deep 🏈pic.twitter.com/tguNinyX1L
— Jordan Moore (@iJordanMoore) May 8, 2020