Houston Texans vs. Indianapolis Colts: Recap and Highlights

The Houston Texans faced the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday, Oct. 20, 2019, in Week 7 of the 2019 NFL season. Here are some highlights from the game.

The Texans traveled to the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana, on Sunday to face the Colts in Week 7 of the 100th season of the NFL. The Texans came into the game 4-2 after their victory over Kansas City in Week 6, and the Colts entered at 3-2 following a bye week in Week 6 and a victory over the Chiefs in the week prior. The Texans were slightly favored to win this matchup on the road even though the Colts hold the lead in the all-time series and had won the last three of four meetings.

Houston received the ball first to start the game but was unable to produce any points in their opening drive and received two penalty calls in lasted five minutes. Indianapolis was able to produce seven points during their opening drive following 11 plays, and Brissett connecting with Zach Pascal for an 11-yard touchdown. The Colts led 7-0 with five minutes left in the first quarter. Neither team converted their following possessions into any points on the board, and the first quarter ended during the Colts’ next possession, yet they were unable to put any points on the board early in the second quarter.

The Texans’ first possession of the second quarter yielded three points for the team after Ka’imi Fairbairn kicked a 37-yard goal, closing the Indianapolis lead to 7-3 with 9:05 on the clock. In the following Colts possession, Brissett fumbled the ball on third down and Whitney Mercilus recovered at the Indianapolis six-yard line. The Texans came back in their next possession and answered with another successful Fairbairn kick from 31 yards out after the offense was unable to convert from inside the red zone. The Texans were within one point of the Colts as the scoreboard read 7-6 with 6:25 left in the first half. Indianapolis answered the Texans’ field goal on the next possession when Brissett connected with T.Y. Hilton for a short two-yard pass. The scoreboard read 14-6 with just under two minutes to play. Houston, after missing their third scoring opportunity in the end zone, put three more points on the board when Fairbairn kicked his third field goal of the game for 26 yards and closed the lead to 14-9 with 23 seconds left in the half.

Indianapolis received the ball first to start the second half. The Colts finished the possession when Brissett connected with Eric Ebron for four yards as the Colts extended their lead to 21-9 with 10 minutes left to play in the quarter. Houston answered the Colts’ touchdown with a score of their own in their first possession of the second half. Watson connected with Deandre Hopkins for 14 yards and Kenny Stills for 45 yards before Carlos Hyde rushed the ball on the next two plays and Coutee found the end zone. The score was 21-16 with just under nine minutes to go. In the next Colts possession, Houston was called for a defensive holding penalty on the first third down, giving Indianapolis the automatic first down. Soon, Brissett connected with Ebron for 33 yards before connecting with Hilton on the next third down. On the fourth third down play of the drive, Bernardrick McKinney was called for an unnecessary roughness penalty, giving the Colts another automatic first down. Two plays later, Brissett hit Pascal for a three-yard touchdown pass, ending the 12-play possession and extending the lead to 28-16 with just over one minute left in the third quarter.

The third quarter ended during the following Houston possession and the Texans didn’t put any points on the board in their opening drive of the final quarter … nor did the Colts in their opening drive. Houston gave up possession of the ball during their next possession when Watson threw a pass intended for Duke Johnson but was intercepted by Colts cornerback, Pierre Desir. The Colts went three-and-out and Houston got the ball back as Watson connected with Stills, Darren Fells, Coutee, and finally Hopkins for a four-yard touchdown. Johnson also had two rushes during the drive. The lead was again cut down to five points as the Colts led 28-23 with 6:38 left in the game. In the next Houston possession, after the Colts were unable to put any points on the board, Watson was sacked on third down by Justin Houston and the possession ended with a safety, extending the Colts’ lead to seven points with 2:44 on the clock. Each team would have one more opportunity to put points on the board, but neither team was able to convert their possessions into any points. The game ended with the Colts extending their all-time series victories over the Texans with a 30-23 win.

The Texans will face the Raiders next week while the Colts will face the Broncos at home.




Check us out on our socials:   
Twitter: @PTSTNews and @TalkPrimeTime
Facebook Page: Prime Time Sports Talk
Join our Facebook Group: Prime Time Sports Talk 
Instagram: @primetimesportstalk

Share this:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *