In a series of tweets, former NFL wide receiver Antonio Brown said he’s “walking away” from football.
The embattled wide receiver appeared to announce his retirement with a series of three tweets on Monday afternoon.
But this isn’t the first time he has done this. Back in September, after being released by the Patriots and Raiders within weeks, Brown said he was stepping away from football, only to pursue a comeback down the road.
The Patriots won their grievance against the wide receiver and were able to recoup $4 million of the money they invested in Brown.
This offseason, Brown had been working out with Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson as well as Geno Smith, Wilson’s backup. As late as yesterday, there were reports that the Seahawks were highly interested in signing Brown. The Baltimore Ravens have also shown interest as well.
When it comes to Brown, you can never take him at his word 100 percent. However, something in his wording makes it seem like he’s for real this time.
Brown is currently on the NFL’s exempt list; this placement stemmed from assault allegations by a woman. Since then, his antics have included an arrest and numerous run-ins with police.
After an All-Pro season with the Steelers in 2018, Brown appeared in just one game in 2019 and now appears to be hanging up his jersey again.