Reiss: First-Round Mock Draft 1.0
Dec 7, 2019; Atlanta, GA, USA; LSU Tigers quarterback Joe Burrow (9) celebrates his fourth passing touchdown in the third quarter against Georgia Bulldogs in the 2019 SEC Championship Game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports
This first-round mock draft will have trades involved.
1. Cincinnati Bengals – Joe Burrow |QB| LSU
Joe Burrow wants to go No. 1 overall no matter what; now, he is an instant lock for the Bengals. Cincy now gets their guy.
2. Washington Redskins – Tua Tagovailoa |QB| Alabama
Dwayne Haskins is not Ron Rivera’s guy, but Tagovailoa is. Having your “guy” in the NFL is important to a coach. Tua rises all the way to the second overall pick.
3. Miami Dolphins (via Detriot Lions) – Justin Herbert |QB| Oregon
Justin Herbert is one of my big rises after the NFL Combine. Hebert had a great combine throwing the ball and also ran a pretty good 40-yard dash time. The Dolphins are going to get their guy for the future.
4. New York Giants – Chase Young |EDGE| Ohio State
It is crazy to have the best player in this draft fall all the way to No. 4 overall but with all of the quarterbacks getting taken early, it leaves the Giants picking up their current day Lawerence Taylor.
5. Detriot Lions (via Miami Dolphins) – Jeffrey Okudah |CB| Ohio State
The Detriot Lions were going to snag Okudah with the third overall pick, so why not take him at No. 5 and stock up on later picks? With the Darius Slay trade rumors heating up, they are going to need to find Slay’s replacement.
6. Los Angeles Chargers – Derrick Brown |IDL| Auburn
The Chargers need to get more pressure on the quarterback, so why not get the best interior defensive lineman that can get rush the quarterback? Derrick Brown will fit perfectly with Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa.
7. Carolina Panthers – Isaiah Simmons |LB| Clemson
Luke Kuechly’s surprising retirement now leaves a void at the linebacker position. Simmons can also play safety and slot cornerback if the Panthers need him to. The Panthers are getting a playmaker with this pick.
8. Arizona Cardinals – CeeDee Lamb |WR| Oklahoma
The Cardinals are selecting the Oklahoma duo. Giving Kyler Murray an elite wide receiver in CeeDee Lamb could boost the Cardinals’ offensive production twice as much.
9. Dallas Cowboys (via Jacksonville Jaguars) – Kristian Fulton |CB| LSU
The Cowboys trade up to get their No. 1 cornerback. Byron Jones is going to test free agency and wants top dollar, which the Cowboys can not pay him.
10. Cleveland Browns – Mekhi Becton |OT| Louisville
The Browns will get an athletic freak that weighs 360 pounds and is also 6-foot-7. Becton is a giant that the Browns desperately need.
11. New York Jets – Jedrick Wills |OT| Alabama
The Jets are not going with a sexy pick, but they are going with a pick that they have to commit to for Sam Darnold’s safety and for giving Le’Veon Bell running holes.
12. Las Vegas Raiders – Jerry Jeudy |OT| Alabama
The Raiders need to give Derek Carr a No. 1 receiver. Getting the readiest NFL receiver in this draft will help the Raiders the most on the offensive side of the ball.
13. Indianapolis Colts – Javon Kinlaw |IDL| South Carolina
The Colts are getting one of the best defensive players in this draft. They are filling a need and also getting one of the best players available.
14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Tristian Wirfs |OT| Iowa
The Buccaneers need to get help on the offensive side of the ball. Getting Wirfs, who can play almost anywhere on the offensive line, will really help the team out.
15. Denver Broncos – Henry Ruggs |WR| Alabama
The Broncos need to get another receiver to help Drew Lock. Getting a guy that ran a 4.27 at the NFL Combine will help take the top of the defensive which will also help out with Courtland Sutton’s productions.
16. Atlanta Falcons – K’Lavon Chaisson |EDGE| LSU
The Falcons need to get a stud edge-rusher. The Falcons came out saying that they are not re-signing Vic Beasley and will let him test free agency.
17. Jacksonville Jaguars (via Dallas Cowboys) – C.J. Henderson |CB| Florida
The Jacksonville Jaguars get a sticky man cornerback just like Jalen Ramsey was when he was with the Jags.
18. Miami Dolphins (via Pittsburgh Steelers) – Andrew Thomas |OT| Georgia
The Dolphins get one of the top four offensive tackles projected to go top 15. They snag Andrew Thomas, who will fill the role that previously belonged to Laremy Tunsil.
19. Las Vegas Raiders (Via Chicago Bears) – Kenneth Murray |LB| Oklahoma
The Raiders’ top need is linebacker. They get Jerry Jeudy at wide receiver and will next need to go get their linebacker of the future in Kenneth Murray.
20. Jacksonville Jaguars (via Los Angeles Rams) – Justin Jefferson |WR| LSU
Justin Jefferson has moved up on everyone’s board since the NFL Combine. The kid ran a 4.44 40-yard dash. The Jacksonville Jaguars are getting a receiver that can help with the development of Gardner Minshew and work great with D.J. Chark.
21. Philadelphia Eagles – Jeff Gladney |CB| TCU
The Eagles need help in the secondary. Getting one of the best defensive backs in this draft to help a beat-up secondary is what the Eagles need to make it to the playoffs again.
22. Buffalo Bills – Tee Higgins |WR| Clemson
I would take a few other receivers before Higgins but this is a perfect scheme fit for the Bills that they can not pass up.
23. New England Patriots – A.J. Epenesa |EDGE| Iowa
The Patriots are in a very weird situation here. Right now, they might not get Tom Brady back but could still go with the top player on the board in Epenesa.
24. New Orleans Saints – Patrick Queen |LB| LSU
The Saints don’t need a quarterback yet, but they need to draft the quarterback of their defense. That is what they do here with Patrick Queen.
25. Minnesota Vikings – Trevon Diggs |CB| Alabama
The Vikings pair the Diggs brothers together as they keep Stefon Diggs in Minnesota. They also need another cornerback that can actually play man-to-man defense.
26. Detriot Lions (via Miami Dolphins and Houston Texans) – Grant Delpit |S| LSU
The Lions need a lot of help in their secondary. With their first pick, they got Jeffrey Okudah and now they get the best safety on the board as Grant Delpit helps out in Matt Patricia’s defense.
27. Indianapolis Colts (via Seattle Seahawks) – Jordan Love |QB| Utah State
The Colts trade back into the first round to grab their quarterback of the future. The Seahawks have a tendency to trade back and get draft capital for the early and middle rounds. They do just that.
28. Baltimore Ravens – Zack Baun |EDGE| Wisconsin
The Ravens need an edge-rusher and a linebacker. They get a player who can play both in Zack Baun.
29. Tennessee Titans – Yetur Gross-Matos |EDGE| Penn State
Mike Vrabel came out and said that the Titans need to get pressure on the quarterback. That likely means that they will draft an edge-rusher. They have to go with the best available in Gross-Matos.
30. Green Bay Packers – Josh Jones |OT| Houston
The Packers will not re-sign Bryan Bulaga. If the Packers want to get back to the NFC Championship game, they are going to have to get better on the offensive line.
31. San Francisco 49ers – Xavier McKinney |S| Alabama
They only position that the 49ers need to improve is safety. Getting a safety that can also play slot cornerback at times will help the entire 49ers defense as a whole.
32. Kansas City Chiefs – D’Andre Swift |RB| Georgia
The Chiefs add another piece to their offense as they get a running back that is not afraid to run right down the defense but is also the best pass-catching running back in this draft.