Myles Garrett Accuses Mason Rudolph of Using Racial Slurby Andersen Pickard November 21, 2019 0 comments
It seemed as if we were done with the drama regarding the beef between Mason Rudolph and Myles Garrett. The Browns defensive end’s appeal concluded on Wednesday and all that was being awaited was the verdict regarding Garrett’s suspension.
Now, though, we have some more information on what Garrett’s appeal included and what prompted him to assault Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph. According to a report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Josina Anderson, Rudolph used a racial slur to describe Garrett prior to the beginning of the Thursday night game.
In an appeal with the NFL, Browns’ DE Myles Garrett alleged that Mason Rudolph called him a racial slur prior to last week's brawl on Thursday Night Football, sources told ESPN's Josina Anderson and me, an accusation the Steelers’ QB strongly denies.https://t.co/NUQfAJdo6B
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 21, 2019
Garrett made the allegation as part of his comments during the appeal hearing in New York in attempt to somewhat validate his actions. When the allegation was made, appeals officer James Thrash ask Garrett a follow-up question about how he might act differently in the future, and Garrett confirmed he would not let events escalate like that again, according to the ESPN report. Garrett warned the Browns that he would be including a piece of sensitive information in his appeal.
Unsurprisingly, Rudolph denied saying anything harmful during a prepared statement on Wednesday prior to the report of his use of racial slurs.
On Thursday, Steelers Director of Communications Burt Lauten said, “Mason vehemently denies the report of being accused of using a racial slur during the incident Thursday night in Cleveland. He will not discuss this accusation any further and his focus remains on preparation for Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals.”
Rudolph’s attorney, Timothy M. Younger, spoke with ESPN, citing their report and denying Garrett’s alleged claims. “According to ESPN, in his appeal, Myles Garrett falsely asserted that Mason Rudolph uttered a racial slur toward him, prior to swinging a helmet at Mason’s uncovered head, in a desperate attempt to mitigate his suspension,” Younger said. “This is a lie. This false allegation was never asserted by Garrett in the aftermath of the game, never suggested prior to the hearing, and conspicuously absent in the apology published by the Browns and adopted by Garrett. The malicious use of this wild and unfounded allegation is an assault on Mason’s integrity which is far worse than the physical assault witnessed on Thursday. This is reckless and shameful. We will have no further comment.”
It’s unclear when the NFL’s decision will come out, and while today’s development doesn’t make Garrett’s actions right, it’s definitely something to seriously consider seeing as Rudolph was never suspended. Meanwhile, Garrett was suspended indefinitely and his appeal is still being considered.