Denver Broncos vs. Green Bay Packers: Week 3 Previewby Michael Rose September 21, 2019 0 comments
The hard-luck Denver Broncos (0-2) head to Lambeau Field this Thursday with high hopes of shaking off the dust of miserable 0-2 start. The Green Bay Packers (2-0) are looking forward to playing host to the Broncos with visions of 3-0 dancing in their heads.
Date: Sunday, Sept. 22, 2019
Start time: 1:00 p.m. EST
Location: Green Bay, WI
Stadium: Lambeau Field
Series History: Broncos lead series (7-6-1)
TV Info: FOX
One almost feels sorry for the Broncos. Their 0-2 start is not indicative of the talent on this team, nor of their potential this season.
The Broncos move the ball. They average 358 yards per game, broken down as 265.5 yards passing and 92.5 yards rushing. They get first downs, ranking ninth in first downs gained this season with 22.5.
The problem is, the Broncos just can’t score. They are 30th in NFL red zone scoring percentage with 28.57%. It’s hard to win games when you don’t score.
Their anemic pass rush could also be a problem. The Broncos are the only NFL team this season that has yet to register a sack. Perhaps they can break this streak in Green Bay. Rodgers is being sacked an average of 3.5 times per game this year.
“I just want to get a win.” – Broncos WR Emmanuel Sanders, upon learning that he had a career high 11 catches in the Broncos loss to the Bears
To win on Sunday, the Packers just need to keep doing what they do: play stellar defense the entire game, and ensure that Rodgers and the offense score just enough points to ensure a victory.
Rinse and repeat.
Aaron Rodgers has been extremely efficient in his 2 career starts against the Broncos
• 43/60, 71.7 completion%
• 485 yards
• 4 TD, 1 INT
• 110.8 rating
• 11 car, 67 yards, 2 TDs rushing
— IKE Packers Podcast (@IKE_Packers) September 18, 2019
— Write On Chiefs! (@MichaelTRose) September 20, 2019
Packers got Broncos at home this week……… 3-0 here we come ! pic.twitter.com/WLeXc8chVp
— Krazy but true 🇳🇬🇯🇵🏁 (@RogGoHome) September 17, 2019
Fodder for Thought
- Green Bay is 5-0-1 all-time against the Broncos at home, scoring 30-plus points in all five wins.
- Emmanuel Sanders needs one 100-yard receiving game to pass Shannon Sharpe and Ed McCaffrey for fourth place in Broncos history with 19 100-yard receiving games.
- Denver is 0-2 for the first time since 1999, the year after John Elway retired.
- The Broncos can become the 14th team to reach 500 overall wins with a victory in Green Bay.
- Von Miller needs two sacks to become the 34th NFL player to reach 100 sacks.
- Denver beat Green Bay in the 1998 Super Bowl for their first Super Bowl victory after four losses in previous years.
- The Broncos are the only team in the NFL without a sack in the 2019 season.
- The Packers went 3-1 last year against AFC teams.
The Broncos are both overdue and deserving of a win. Unfortunately, it won’t come this week against a Packers team that always seems to find a way to victory.
Final Score prediction: Broncos 14, Packers 32