Report: Red Sox Re-Sign Second Baseman

Report: Red Sox Re-Sign Second Baseman

by February 15, 2018 0 comments

The Boston Red Sox have a contract in place with utility infielder Eduardo Nunez pending a physical, according to Robert Murray of Fan Rag.

After the Red Sox sent prospects Shaun Anderson and Gregory Santos to the San Francisco Giants for Nunez, the 30-year-old kept a batting average above .300 during his 38 games.

While he isn’t a power hitter, Nunez did belt 12 home runs in 2017, his second time ever getting more than 10 home runs in a season. In his last four seasons, Nunez has hit 36 home runs, drove in 169 runs, and has a .290/.323/.434 triple slash. 28 of his 36 home runs came in his last two seasons.

Nunez injured his knee back on Sept. 9 after sliding into second base and attempted to make a return on multiple occasions, but was ultimately out for the season. Nunez never required surgery on his knee and his knee is reportedly back in good shape. Nunez is expected to play at second base to fill in for Dustin Pedroia, who had his own knee injury that required surgery.

Rob Bradford of WEEI was told that a report of the deal being finalized is “premature,” but his sources also told him that the deal could be premature since the team wants to make sure Nunez’s knee is healthy. The reported contract is a one-year deal with an option for a second season.

No Comments so far

Jump into a conversation

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Leave a Reply