10-Men Revolution Lose 6-1 to Orlando Amid VAR Controversy

10-Men Revolution Lose 6-1 to Orlando Amid VAR Controversy

by September 28, 2017 0 comments

The New England Revolution fell 6-1 to Orlando City after being forced to play 79 minutes with 10 men when Xavier Kouassi was sent off by a video review.

After this defeat, the Revolution remained the only MLS team without an away win this season, and only have one more chance to get the elusive win.

Controversial start

The game essentially ended for the Revolution in the 11th minute, when Kouassi was sent off by the VAR for the second time in the Revolution’s last four games. The referee went to the VAR after Kouassi slide into Orlando’s Seb Hines. After a short video review, Kouassi was sent to the locker room.

This call was incredibly controversial. While Kouassi was officially sent off for a dangerous challenge, many deemed this to be the wrong call. Kouassi clearly wins the ball off Hines when he slides in, which should automatically make it a fair tackle, but his trailing foot happened to catch Hine’s leg. This contact was accidental and his studs were not even up when he made contact. Even Revolution President Brian Bilello took to twitter to vent his disgust with the referee’s decision.

Floodgates open

Orlando wasted little time, capitalizing on their man advantage only 11 minutes later. Yoshimar Yotún whipped in a free kick from just outside the box and Antonio Nocerino got a slight touch on it, which allowed it slip under Cody Cropper to make it 1-0 in the 22nd minute.

The Revolution were caught out again on a set piece in the 32nd minute, when Yotún whipped in a corner, that was headed home by Seb Hines to make it 2-0. Things got even worse for the Revolution in the 45th minute, when Brazilian legend Kaká buried an absolute stunner into the top right corner from just outside the box. As the halftime whistle neared, the Revolution found themselves a man down and three goals down.

Glimmers of hope

The Revolution entered the locker room at halftime on a high note however, as they grabbed a goal right on the stroke of halftime. Lee Nguyen stepped up to take a free kick after Seb Hines fouled Kei Kamara outside the box. Nguyen had a spectacular free kick saved by Orlando’s Joe Bendik earlier in the half, but this time Nguyen curled it perfectly into the top right hand corner to make 3-1 just before the first half came to a close.

Lee Nguyen has been directly involved in 54 percent of the Revolution’s goals for the entire season.

The Revolution came out for second half and actually looked like they might comeback. They continued to press Orlando and were arguably the better team for most of the second half.

Floodgates re-open 

The Revolution’s domination ended in the 77th however, when Kaká scored his second goal of the night. Kaká began the play by laying it off to Dom Dwyer, whose shot was saved by Cropper. However, Kaká was in the right position to tap it in to make it 4-1.

In the 83rd minute Lee Nguyen had a good chance to score but was pulled down in the box. However, no call was given and Orlando went on the break. Dwyer broke down the left-wing and managed to fire it past Cropper from a tough angle to make it 5-1.

The final dagger came in the 90th minute when Benjamin Angoua gave Orlando’s Yotún space outside the box, and Yotún obliged, firing it past Cropper to complete a one goal, two assist night and to make it 6-1.

Looking ahead

The Revolution remained in 8th place after this defeat and are five points off the final playoff spot with three games to go.

Their next game is on Saturday Sept. 30th against Atlanta United in Foxborough. Kick off is at 7:30 p.m.


No Comments so far

Jump into a conversation

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Leave a Reply